A little detail that plumbing contractors are aware of is that the average home uses its water and sewer more in the summer than any other time of the year.
Plumbing companies find that the warmer weather means watering plants, washing cars, having company over, and all of that means more strain on the plumbing and sewer lines.
Add to this the water used for swimming pools or sprinklers and it is no wonder that plumbing services get so many calls in the spring and summertime.
Homeowners who want to avoid having a plumbing problem can follow a few tips to keep their plumbing running just fine!
Know The 3 Common Problems
Of all the problems that lead to calling a plumbing service, these three are the most common in the summertime when plumbing usage increases:
- Sewer Line Backups - With more family and friends visiting as well as more activity around the house in general, plus the spring and summer storms that come each year in Texas, sewer drainage lines can slow down from the additional water volume flowing through them.Plumbing contractors warn that sewer backups, which present as overflowing drains in the street or yard, can progress to backing up into the home plumbing. This backup can also affect homes with septic tanks if they start filling up faster than usual.
- Clogged Toilets - More people in a home means more toilet use and combined with slower drains due to rains, it can become a toilet disaster. An occasional clogged toilet is normal in any home, but it might be time to call a plumbing company to investigate the cause like a slow sewer line if it happens more than that.
- Clogged Kitchen Disposals - Yet another result of enjoying more activity in the home during the summer months, clogged kitchen disposals happen when too much is being put down the disposal or when people put in things that should not be sent through the disposal.
Prepare With Some Plumbing TLC
The good news is that there are a few steps recommended by plumbing services that can reduce the likelihood that homeowners will experience these problems as water and sewer use rises during the busy summer months:
- Drain Cleaning - A drain cleaning service performed by a plumbing company is a highly recommended measure to prevent slow drains and clogs. Drains get constricted over time from grease and solid material that slowly restrict the flow of water and waste material to the sewer or septic tank. Performed in the spring before higher demand is put on the drain lines, cleared drains are less likely to slow down or clog up.
- Empty Septic Tanks - Septic tanks can only hold so much solid material. Normally, that material decomposes as it is added, but added use in the summer months can cause a septic backup. Emptying it ahead of time by a licensed septic pumping company can alleviate that problem.
- Replace Leaky Fixtures - If there are any leaky faucets or plumbing fixtures, have a plumber out to take care of them. A small leak may not seem like much of a problem; however, it can add to higher water bills and extra water in the sewer lines, which will already be seeing more volume.
Prevent Home Plumbing Problems This Summer
The last thing any homeowner wants to be dealing with over their busy summer is calling a plumbing company to take care of clogged drains or backed-up sewer lines.
Prevent emergency calls for a plumbing contractor by anticipating higher use now and doing a little home maintenance.
A local plumbing service can do a drain cleaning now to help handle the extra volume once the weather warms up so homeowners can make the most of their summer months!